POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : IsoCSG rounded shape macros : Re: IsoCSG rounded shape macros Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:15:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IsoCSG rounded shape macros
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 19 Apr 2002 06:44:29
Message: <3CBFF50C.E043FCB7@gmx.de>
Reuben Pearse wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I am tying to create some shapes in POVRay 3.5 (beta.RC1) using Christoph
> Hormann's IsoCSG Library (version 0.4) and
> I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1. I want to create a rounded cylinder using the IC_Cylinder shape macro in
> the iso_rcsg.inc (Rounded Shapes).
> However the cylinder I get just looks like a normal cylinder created using
> POV primitive. Below is the code I am using:
>
> [...]

Calling the functions 'rounded' is a bit misleading, i will add a better
explanation in the next version.  The shape itself is not different from
normal iso_csg functions.

But you can use the rounding properties of the functions by changing the
threshold value, for example:

#declare fn_1 = IC_Threshold( IC_Cylinder (-x, x, 0.8), 0.2)

Note that the resulting shape no more has the measures given to the
cylinder macro.

> How do I create a smooth rounded cone using this macro?
> What are general principles I need to use to get round edges on a object
> created with IsoCSG?

You can use the methods mentioned above or implement the CSG constructions
from the Round_Cone() macro in 'shapes.inc'.

The same applies for all other shapes of course.  For a rounded box you
can also use the f_rounded_box() function from functions.inc.

> 2. How do you use the macros in the IsoCSG to do the equivalent of the blob
> threshold as detailed in the POV help section 3.6.3.5

You can use the iso_csg functions like any other functions so you can also
use them in blob constructions (instead of fn_A()/fn_B() in the cited
example)

Future versions of iso_csg will probably also implement blob functions.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 16 Apr. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______